Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Superhero Invasion

A few weeks ago I posted a "teaser" from Nolan's birthday party.  You see the problem is I took like 200 pictures at the party (not a lie) and I needed to take some time to dig through them all and find out what I wanted to share on the blog.  Needless to say it was a daunting task, but someone had to do it.

This was a really fun year for Nolan's birthday.  He is finally at the age where he gets really excited about things and understands what it all means.  When I originally asked him what kind of party he wanted I believe his response was "I want to blow out the candles".  Hmmm, check I think we can handle candles.  But what would a 3 year old's birthday party be without a theme?  So I took it upon myself to decide that he needed a superhero party because let's be honest that's all the kid cares about these days.  Nolan was SO excited about his party I can't even put it into words.  This year we decided to move his party to the park so that the kids could burn some energy while the parents could relax and "supervise" from afar.  Perfection…and I didn't have to clean my house BONUS!

Here are a few of the details…basically the idea was to make it look like comic books threw up all over the party.  I went for more of a "vintage" superhero theme, because in my head that made it less cheesey.


We attempted to get a family photo at this joyous occasion because we have yet to get a picture of the four of us together.  The one on the left was the "best" of the bunch.  The one on the right is one I wanted to share because let's be honest folks life isn't always perfect.  So Nolan go ahead and pick your nose and Bennett scream your head off…it's cool sometimes I feel like doing the same things.


Here is Nolan getting to do the one thing he requested…blowing out those candles.  Some things have changed since his first and second birthday…for example he blew out the candle on his first try this year.  Some things however have not changed at all…for example his inability to get the icing in his mouth as opposed to all over his face.  Next year we will be having a snow themed party complete with white icing on the cupcakes.


I don't really know where to start with this next set of pictures.  We played a game called "capture the villain" .  Basically all the kids got a can of silly string and they had to find the villain (the Joker) and shoot him up.  Sounds fun right?  Hmmmm.  Small problem, Nolan was TERRIFIED of the Joker costume.  The Joker came around the corner and one child started screaming/crying and it was none other than...the birthday boy.  Before you think I'm an awful mom let me tell you how much we prepared for this game.  We showed him the costume, I wore the mask, Chad wore the mask, Nolan wore the mask, we talked about Uncle Eric dressing up as the Joker.  I honestly don't know what else we could have done.  Don't worry folks he stopped screaming and joined in the fun and to date there have been no nightmares to report.  A huge thank you to Uncle Eric for being our friendly Joker.  


Here is a picture of Nolan with all of his cousins.  Scary crew if you ask me.   You may have also noticed all of the capes the kids are wearing in the pictures.  These capes were made with love by Nolan's Grandma.  It might be the last time she ever volunteers to help me again, but I have to say it was worth it.  


Here are some of the fine partygoers, even some "in utero" who don't know that they are going to be superhero fans but they are.  They already have super-bibs awaiting their arrival.


Just a few shots of my little birthday boy enjoying his big day. Notice how we snuck that Joker in for a little photo opportunity.  He'll freak when he sees it but someday he will thank me for documenting it…right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive